Eggs are the only livestock product obtained in the natural "packaging". Obtained from healthy chicken, they are sterile. But during the first two hours they are struck through the pores of the shells by viruses and bacteria. That is why the poultry and nests should be kept clean. During the storage of eggs there are profound qualitative changes. In order to delay the loss of moisture, the development of microorganisms and biochemical processes occurring under the action of enzymes, you should know how to store eggs in the right way. They should be stored in conditions of lowered temperatures and high humidity.
7 Useful Recommendations for Storing Chicken Eggs
Have a look at the tips on storing eggs and find out the best place to store eggs in order they remain fresh and safe.
- In the short-term storage, the eggs are kept at a temperature of 8-12 ° С and relative humidity of air is 75-80%. However, after 30 days, the eggs lose a third of the nutrients, and stored at a temperature of 15 ° C - after 25 days become unfit for food.
- A simpler and more reliable way is to store eggs in clean, odorless tanks at about -1 ° C, then they remain fresh for 4-6 months. For long-term storage, only fresh, clean eggs should be taken away, as they quickly spoil the dirty shell.
- When selecting, you need to inspect each egg so that the shell is whole, without cracks, nicks and injuries. It is not allowed to wash eggs before the laying: it is necessary to preserve a bactericidal film covering the shell that protects the egg from bacterial penetration.
- After demolition, the eggs should be cooled as quickly as possible until they develop bacteria. Eggs are conveniently stored in the refrigerator in special plastic sealed packages. It is therefore desirable to maintain a stable temperature.
- As the temperature rises, the process of egg spoil accelerates, as it stimulates the activity of the microflora, and when excessive decrease in temperature, they freeze, lose taste. The contents of the egg freeze at a temperature below -2 ° C.
- Poultry holders of farms use a variety of methods storing eggs in a dry oven ash, fine peat, in a dry, clean oats, a clean shell is covered with a thin layer of melted paraffin-rosin mixture, petroleum jelly, sebum, vegetable oil. The shell is wiped dipped in these substances with a cloth or immersed for a few seconds in fatty solution. The shelf life in the refrigerator is 7 months.
- Even in ancient times peasants placed eggs in a dry barrel, pouring them with oats, barley or millet. The grain storage effect has always been higher if the eggs were pre-washed with vegetable oil, fat or other grease.
If you want to know everything about the proper storage of eggs, check the complete guide https://unclefredsfarm.com/how-to-store-chicken-eggs/ where you will find a lot of practical pieces of advice.